This code of ethics defines agreed upon ideals, acceptable and unacceptable conduct and establishes a standard of behaviour that allows clear understanding of the conduct of an individual volunteer with the Colchester Hospital Auxiliary. The Auxiliary code of ethics is intended to support and promote the Colchester East Hants Health Centre and the Nova Scotia Health Authority. It embraces principles of basic values and behaviours which call for a certain level of demeanor by all volunteers within the Colchester Hospital Auxiliary.
Code of Ethics
As a member of the Colchester Hospital Auxiliary I will conduct myself within the following parameters of behaviour acceptable to the Auxiliary:
- Enthusiastically do all in my power to help others
- Contribute to the team to achieve a common goal
- Take responsibility for my own actions
- Will respond positively to constructive criticism or feedback on my performance
- Maintain confidentiality in all cases
- Support Organizational decisions, direction, and policies
- Offer only constructive criticism of any matters of concern
- Support fellow Auxilians and Clients
- Support others needing my help
- Speak positively of the Auxiliary contribution to the well being of the Community and the Hospital
- Focus on the positive and ignore the negative
- Share my volunteer experience with others needing or seeking my help
- Ensure that safety is always at the forefront
Conduct deemed to be unacceptable for volunteers of the Colchester Hospital Auxiliary is included herein. This is not an all -inclusive listing but is a sample of basic issues and is considered conduct detrimental to other volunteers, Hospital Staff, and Clients of the Auxiliary.
- Infractions of the Human Rights Code pertaining to amongst other things race, colour, ethnic origin, sexual discrimination
- Use of threatening or abusive language
- Use of patronizing tones or words
- Use of profanity or degrading or sarcastic comments to anyone
- Angry outbursts physical or vocal in nature
- Use of physical contact in any way
- Berating, intimidating, stereotyping individuals
- Abusive or inappropriate verbal abuse of fellow Auxilians
- Inappropriate attire
- Violations of workplace safety regulations
- Release of Auxiliary information to others not associated with the Auxiliary
- Discussion of Auxiliary matters, happenings, decisions, or members with anyone not associated with the Auxiliary
Corrective Action Unacceptable Actions/Behaviours
The Auxiliary will not permit any reprisal against those who report in good faith any noted infraction of the code of conduct by any Volunteer.
Likewise, complaints found to be groundless or trivial shall also be considered a violation of the code of ethics.
All cases of unacceptable behaviour of a volunteer will be investigated by a Committee named the Auxiliary Ethics Committee comprised of the President, Vice President, Treasurer, Coffee Shop Convener, and Gift Shop Convener.
Depending on the outcome of the investigation one or all of the following actions will apply:
- Verbal or written apology by the offender
- Suspension for a period deemed appropriate
- Termination of Volunteer status with the Auxiliary